Donate a Vehicle for Veterans we Support
Do you own a car, truck, motorcycle, SUV, off-road vehicle, RV, watercraft or aircraft you no longer want or need? If so, we hope you will donate a vehicle for veterans, ill, injured, medically retired and active duty warriors we help transition from military to civilian life. When you donate a vehicle for veterans we support, you are also assisting those who have sacrificed so much of themselves to defend our freedom.
We gratefully accept your vehicles whether they are running or not. The only requirements are that it must be in one piece, have an engine, be able to be towed, and have a clean title that is in your name. You do not even have to pay for towing, because our partnership with the Charitable Adult Rides Services (CARS) organization allows us to arrange for complimentary pick up service wherever your vehicle currently is in California or nationwide.
Charitable Vehicle Donation Process
Thanks to the CARS organization, our charitable vehicle donation process is very quick and easy. If you have a car, truck, motorcycle, SUV, off-road vehicle, RV, watercraft or aircraft you no longer want or need, you can click here to begin the donation process. The following information can help you learn more about the CARS charitable vehicle donation process….
- Depending on where you (and/or your vehicle) reside, CARS will either schedule a pickup during your initial call, or within 2-3 business days at the latest. Your vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you. The tow operator will provide you with a donation receipt when he or she picks up your vehicle.
- Your donated vehicle will be taken to a sales location for evaluation. CARS performs cost-effective mechanical repairs to increase sales value. In general, CARS will then use an auction house to sell a vehicle. However, in the case of speciality vehicles, CARS might use other means to facilitate the sales process. We have found that CARS goes the extra mile to ensure non-profit organizations like the Warrior Foundation receive the maximum amount of money for each vehicle donation received.
- Once the car is sold, you will be provided with all necessary tax deduction paperwork and forms. This includes a thank you letter, which you can use as a receipt for your tax deduction purposes whether or not your vehicle sells for $500. If it sells for more, you will also receive an additional receipt called “IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes.” Please note that you must provide us with your tax identification number to receive this form*.
If you have any questions about our charitable vehicle donation process, we welcome you to contact us and we will help you through the process.
Why Donate Your Car to Charity?
You might be looking at a vehicle you do not want or need anymore, and asking yourself why donate your car to charity? Well, there are many great reasons to donate your car to charity. Some of these reasons include:
- It is easy and convenient. You don't have to assume the risk of meeting with strangers, take the time to post classified ads, risk damage during test drives, or deal with the hassle of used car dealerships and salespeople.
- It does not cost anything. You do not have to pay to advertise your vehicle, clean and detail it (possibly multiple times) to keep it looking fresh, perform repairs to increase its value, or pay towing fees if it is not currently running.
- You get a tax deduction. Whether you live in California or not, you can claim the deduction on your annual income taxes.
- You will help people in need. If you are anything like us, you understand that giving selflessly feels great. If you choose to donate your car to charity, we will be able to generate income to help our heroes in their time of transitional need. There is no better feeling of pride and fulfillment than helping those who need it most!
These are just a few reasons to donate a vehicle for veterans the Warrior Foundation is proud to support and assist. We welcome you to contact us to discuss vehicle donation, or with any questions you might have.
Vehicle Donations in California
Of course, we gratefully accept donated vehicles from all across the United States. However, since we are based in San Diego we are very familiar with vehicle donations in California. If you live in another state, we recommend contacting your local department of motor vehicles to learn about the steps you should take before donating a vehicle. If you live here in the Golden State, we would like to share the following information with you about vehicle donations in California:
- You can begin by contacting the CARS program through their website to schedule a pickup time for your donated vehicle.
- California law stipulates that license plates must remain on the vehicle, so please do not remove your plates before you donate your vehicle.
- Be sure to file a Release of Liability with the DMV before you donate your vehicle. This document releases you from any future liability that could possibly arise for any reason once the car is no longer in your possession. The procedure for filing a Release of Liability includes returning the pink portion of the title or DMV form REG 138 to your local DMV. You can also file online by clicking here.
- Any vehicle that sells for over $500 qualifies for a fair market tax deduction. The amount you will be able to claim on your taxes will depend on various factors including its final sale price and a fair market donation classification*.
- Of course, you will need a receipt for your tax deduction purposes. You will receive an initial donation receipt upon pickup, and within 30 days of the sale of the vehicle, you will receive any additional deduction paperwork to file.
If you have any questions about vehicle donations in California, we recommend contacting your local California Department of Motor Vehicles office directly. If you have any other questions about donating your vehicle to the Warrior Foundation, we welcome you to contact us…. and we thank you for your support!
*Your donation to the Warrior Foundation may be tax-deductible. Check with your tax advisor. To receive a tax deduction, you will need the proper documentation when filing your income tax returns. The IRS requires a receipt for each tax-deductible contribution of $250 or more.